VMASS DOD Benefits

Veteran Affairs & Department of Defense

Apply for VA Education Benefits

All students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit an application at Vets.gov and call the VA at or 1-888-442-4551.

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)‌ - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
  • Chapter 30 (Active Duty)‌ - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
  • Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve)‌ Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
  • Chapter 1607 (REAP)‌ Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents)‌ - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
  • Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability)‌ - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
  • Hazlewood‌ - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
  • Guests/Concurrent Student- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.


Request Military Service Records (Including DD214)

Submit military records request to get your DD214 or other military service records through the milConnect website. 

Follow these steps to request your military records.


Apply for DOD Benefits


Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.

Please Note: The student’s spouse must be on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades.


  • Contact a certified SECO Career Counselor at 1-800-342-9647 to create your career plan.  
  • Meet with a HCC Academic Advisor.
  • Official transcripts from all previous college(s) attended (regardless of accreditation)


Houston Community College
Office of Admission & Records
P.O. Box 667517
Houston, TX 77266


  • Enroll in HCC Courses (listed on your approved degree plan) 
  • Submit VMASS Certification Request
  • Submit your DOD (scholarship) approval to the VMASS Department

Pay for courses, select ‘other’ as the method of payment to avoid courses being dropped 


Tuition Assistance

The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.

Each branch of the military has its own TA application and procedures. Find out how to get started by visiting the following links:


Regardless of your military branch, we require you to submit the following documents to our department;

  • Submit Copy of DD-214 (Only Member 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8) OR Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), a current copy of your orders, OR a letter from your commanding officer.
  • Visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts.
  • For Air Force transcripts, please visit airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/
  • All veterans, active duty, active National Guard, and Reserves, must submit military transcripts within 30 days from submitting the HCC Application.

    All transcripts should be submitted to:

Houston Community College
Office of Admission & Records
P.O. Box 667517
Houston, TX 77266


  •  Provide a Tuition Assistance Authorization Form to the HCC VMASS Department
  • Submit VMASS Certification Request
  • Pay for courses, select ‘other’ as the method of payment to avoid courses being dropped 


Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success

Connect With Us

Please click here to view options to receive support.