Upward Bound Southeast Campus
Upward Bound HighlightsApply Online Now!
The Upward Bound (UB) Program is federally-funded through a TRIO grant from the U.S. Department of Education. Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. Since September 1, 1998, the program has been housed at the Houston Community College Southeast Campus. The Upward Bound program recruits high school students primarily from the 9th and 10th grades in order to aid and encourage them to successfully complete high school, to enroll in and complete a post-secondary education.
For years, Upward Bound program has been providing services to low-income students who will be the first generation in their families to go to college. The program serves 66 students per year and over 80% of Upward Bound students have successfully completed high school and enrolled in an institution of post-secondary education. The Upward Bound target schools are: Milby, Chavez, & George I. Sanchez High Schools.
The program has two components, an academic year component and a summer component. During academic year, the program provides supplemental academic classes, tutoring, academic counseling, life skills classes, and cultural enrichment activities. These classes are held on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. Periodically students and their families will have the opportunity to attend workshops on the college entrance process.
The summer component focuses on academic skills and comprehensive test preparation for six-weeks, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. Students will also have the opportunity to attend educational and cultural field trips to various colleges, universities and museums.
The Upward Bound staff serve as role models and mentors to our students. They have established a very close working relationship with community agencies, target high school principals and personnel. They also work with parents through home visits and parent meetings.
Upward Bound Services
- Academic classes in basic skills (English/Writing, Math, Reading, Science, Life
Skills and Foreign Language)
- Tutoring in various areas as needed (Evening appointments
- Various workshops in college readiness, study skills and financial literacy
- Career development activities and career exploration
- Participation in college tours and cultural enrichment activities
- Individualized assessment and educational planning
- College credit courses for seniors during the summer component
- 6-week summer program
- Community resource referral services
Who is Eligible?
Students in the target area high schools are eligible if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- First generation college students
- Enrolled in 9th, 10th or 11th grade
- Meet federal income guidelines
- Students with academic potential/need
Barbara Ramirez, Director
Shannah Hamilton, Administrative Assistant
8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.
Tuesday – Saturday during the academic year
Monday – Friday during six week Summer component