Take a TxCHSE or ESL class
Click here to view the Orientation/Registration Schedule
Call 713.718.5381 for an appointment
No reservations are necessary. Please be on time for your chosen session.
ESL - "English as a Second Language", learn English
HSE - "High School Equivalency", take GED/TxCHSE courses
Funding for Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) programs is provided by the Gulf Coast Workforce Development Board. AEL programs are part of the Workforce Solution system of services. Houston Community College supports, and the College is committed to, providing a learning and working environment that promotes personal integrity, civility, and mutual respect in an environment free of discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and gender expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, 3100 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002, 713.718.8271 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Map to orientation/registration and TxCHSE/ESL Class Locations sites
English as a Second Language (ESL)
In an English as a Second Language (ESL) class, students are taught reading, listening, speaking and writing at 3 levels Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced.
Following are eligibility requirements for non-resident/non-citizens:
- There are certain restrictions on attending public school in the U.S. Persons who violate these restrictions may not receive another visa for a period of five years.
- The restrictions apply only to students holding F-1 visas. They do not apply to students attending public school on derivative visas, such as F-2, J-2 or H-4 visas. The restrictions also do not apply to students attending private schools on F-1 visas.
If you would like to enroll in an ESL class, please refer to the Orientation/Registration Schedule.
TxCHSE and ESL Distance Learning
Please visit hccs.edu/distance for more information.
- The Houston Community College Adult Education & Literacy Program (AEL) provides classes in Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency (TxCHSE) Test Preparation and English as a Second Language (ESL) in the greater Houston area. Our program is designed for native and non-native speakers who want to improve their language skills and gain core academic skills needed to obtain an HSE.
- All subjects (Math, Social Studies, Language, Reading) pertaining to the TxCHSE Test are taught in one class.
- Before enrolling in a class, applicants are required to attend an orientation/registration session where they will view a Power Point presentation detailing information about our program and learn about locations, dates and times of classes. Potential students can obtain orientation/registration information by calling (713) 718-5400.
- Students should bring a state-issued picture ID, (a passport is allowable), a blue pen, #2 pencil, and a tablet/paper to orientation/registration sessions and to class.
- Students should expect to be in an orientation/registration session for at least 2 hours.
- If you are interested in attaining a TxCHSE instead of taking a preparation class, we refer you to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) website.
- At this time there are no TxCHSE classes offered online through HCC.
- To enroll into a TxCHSE (HSE) or ESL class, students who are 16, 17, and 18 year-olds must have a letter of authorization to enroll which can be obtained at the HCC Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) at which you register. Students age 19+ require no authorization letters. All underage applicants must obtain an Authorization Letter to attend an Adult Education class from the Adult Education Department. The Authorization letter may be obtained at the location you plan to attend. Contact the Teacher Supervisor at the location to make an appointment. Students should bring withdrawal documentation from the last school he or she attended, a state-issued picture ID, and a parent/guardian in order to receive a letter. 16 year-olds are not eligible for our program unless they have been court ordered. They must bring a copy of the court order, as well as the other documentation mentioned above.
If you would like to enroll in a TxCHSE Preparation class, please refer to the Orientation/Registration schedule.
Frequently asked questions
What does the Houston Community College Adult Education & Literacy program offer?
- ESL classes designed to help foreign language learners to improve fluency and learn English.
- ABE and High School Equivalency (HSE) classes designed to improve basic skills and prepare students for the HSE examinations (GED, HiSET, or TASC), develop job readiness skills, prepare for college or workforce training.
Who is eligible for the HCC Adult Education & Literacy program?
- For TxCHSE and Career4U classes, applicant must not have obtained an associates degree or higher that is recognized in the U.S.A.
- For ESL classes, the above degree requirements are not applicable.
- Applicants 16 years old and older.
- Students who are 16, 17 and 18 year-olds must have a letter of authorization to enroll which can be obtained at the HCC Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) at which you register. All underage applicants must obtain an Authorization Letter to attend an Adult Education class from the Adult Education Department. The Authorization letter may be obtained at the location you plan to attend. Contact the Teacher Supervisor at the location to make an appointment.
- Age exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. All exceptions must be cleared through the Adult Education & Literacy program during the orientation/registration site.
What do I bring to registration & orientation?
- Valid, government-issued picture ID (passport, state driver license, state ID or resident alien card, etc.).
- Social Security Card (if available) or document to verify SS# (if available).
- Blue pen and #2 pencil.
What should I expect at the registration & orientation session?
- Applicants will be assessed to determine their academic levels.
- Be prepared to stay at least 2-3 hours.
Send us an Email:
ESL & HSE - email@example.com
Career4U - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.