Certified Nurse Aide
In order to meet the rising demand for trained personnel in the health care industry, HCC offers Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) courses for fast-track training that produces successful graduates sought after for entry-level positions in the field.
The CNA program will provide the skills, knowledge and abilities essential to providing basic care to residents of long-term care facilities. You will learn about resident’s rights, communication, safety, observation, reporting and assisting residents in maintaining basic comfort and safety.
Continuing Educations current awards, certificates, and class schedule.Continuing Education current awards, certificates, Current Continuing Education Schedule
You will learn about resident rights, communication, safety, observation and reporting. You will learn to assist residents in maintaining basic comfort and safety. You will also learn about the theory, concepts, and skills involving specialized materials, equipment, procedures, regulations, laws and interactions within social systems associated with the nurse aide occupation. You will be prepared for entry-level employment in long-term care facilities, doctor’s offices and hospitals. Income will depend on the area of employment chosen.
What are the prerequisites?
Students taking health programs that have direct contact with patients may be required to meet or obtain the following:
- Proof of completion of Hepatitis B vaccine series
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening
- CPR Certification for Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer
- Hospital scrubs and student identification badge
- Flu Shot
- Current immunizations: Tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (TDAP), Measles, Mumps, Rubella, negative TB Skin Test or chest X-ray, Chicken Pox (Varicella), Hepatitis B series
Each program has specific requirements which are discussed and distributed at the program information sessions.
There are 18,457 Nursing Assistants employed in the Greater Houston Area. This number is expected to increase by 16.7% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 1,277 jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $12.16 hourly, $25,000 annually
Texas Education Association (TEA) Industry Based Certification Resource