New student deadlines
The OISS&SA must receive your application on or before:
- Fall Semester: July 1
- Spring Semester: November 18
- Summer Semester: April 1
If your application is completed after the deadline, you will automatically be considered for admission for the next available semester. If you do not want to be considered for the next semester, please email email@example.com.
Apply to HCC: New Students Living Outside the U.S.
Step 1: Online application, W and P numbers
- Complete the online application for Admissions to HCC (If you already have an HCC student ID, make sure the information on your HCC account is updated and go to Step 3. If this does not apply to you, begin at Step 1.)
- Select “Semester Credit Hour” and click Next
- Enter your date of birth (leave the Social Security Number space empty)
- Under the “Biographical Data” section, check the first box for F-1 students
- For F-1 type, choose New Student
- Complete the rest of the application and submit
- Record your HCC student ID and your Assigned Number (starting with P)
Important: Do not submit multiple applications! You need only one HCC student ID and we can work with you if you have to make changes. Multiple student IDs will slow your application process.
Step 2: Set up your HCC account
You will receive an email that will provide instructions on how to set up your HCC online account. Please follow these instructions carefully. You can also follow the instructions below.
- Navigate to the Student System Sign In webpage:
- Visit www.hccs.edu
- Click the "STUDENT SIGN-INS" link found in the top right corner of the screen
- Under "PeopleSoft," select "Student System sign-in"
- You are now on the Student System Sign-In page. You will need to re-visit this page often, so it is a good idea to save it as a favorite in your internet browser.
- Create your account
- On the Student System Sign-In page, click "First Time User"
- In the SSN field, enter your Assigned Number/P-number. Your assigned number is the number you recorded after you submitted the online application.
- Enter your Date of Birth
- Click "Retrieve ID/PWD"
- You will be provided with your User ID and a temporary password.
- The next time you log in, you will be prompted to change your temporary password.
If you need additional assistance with accessing your account, please visit .
Step 3: Prepare application documents
* All documents must be saved as PDF files with short names (less than 30 characters). File name should not contain any invalid characters such as (*:"<>?). Bad quality or upside-down documents will be rejected. Please combine different document types in 1 PDF file. For example, if you have statements from different banks, save them as one file. To scan and convert a file to PDF format, you can also use free PDF scanner apps (Genius Scan - PDF Scanner, Fast Scanner: Free PDF Scan for Android, Tiny Scanner- PDF scanner, etc.) Upon uploading, the System will add automatically 3 or 4-digit code and your HCC ID number to the name of the document. Do not attempt to modify document's name!
1. Complete the SEVIS Form I-20 Application
Note: Type the information online and then print and sign it. (This document may not show on the To Do list if we have received it via email.) *Add additional page if more than 1 dependents.
2. Passport photocopy(biometric page only) *
* Provide this document for all dependents (spouse/ children under 21) who will accompany you, as well as marriage and birth certificates.
Note: If you have multiple documents, save them as 1 document in PDF format.
4. Application Fee (please save a copy of the receipt)
Pay the non-refundable application fee of $75 and save the receipt as a PDF.
How to pay the fee:
Online payments (preferred): You can pay the fee online using a credit card or funds transfer from your local bank. For online payments, refer to the International Payment Tutorial for instructions. Please note that you must have completed Step 1 and Step 2 before you can make a payment online. Alternatively, you can pay the fee at any HCC campus and save the receipt.
Note: The payment term and entrance term may vary when paying the fee online. This is not a problem as the payment can be tracked by date.
You may also pay the fee by sending a check (containing a printed address) or money order made out to Houston Community College and containing the student’s HCC ID number attached to fee payment form. Form will contain mailing instructions for the payment. Mailing the check or money order can cause delay in the process of your application.
Step 4: Upload documents to your To Do List
- Log in to your account on the HCC Student System
- On the right side of your account homepage, you will see a "To Do List" with a list of items you must submit to complete your application (If you do not see a To Do List, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your HCC student ID, "NEW," and semester you're applying for written in the subject line. Check your account again within 3 business days, and the To Do List should now be available.)
- Once an item is ready to submit, click on the more/upload link in your “To Do List” and upload the already prepared documents*
* Monitor your To Do list for additional documents that may be required.
Step 5: Choose mailing option for receiving I-20
There are 2 options available for the mailing of your acceptance letter and I-20:
- Regular Overseas Mail — Overseas mail takes 4-6 weeks. If you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail, no response is required. Your I-20 will be sent by regular overseas mail to the address indicated on your application. Please do not e-mail to confirm your overseas address.
- Express Mail — With this option, you will receive your I-20 within 5 days after processing. Express mail is at the expense of the student. To select express mail, visit the following webpage and follow the instructions: International Express Mail
Check the status of your application
Login to your HCC Student Sign-In and view your To Do list. If the only item in your To Do list is “I-20 In Process”, your application is under review by one of the International Admissions Advisors. If you see any other items in your To Do list, you must upload the required documents so that your application can be reviewed.
Once you have uploaded all of your documents, you should wait at least 10 business days for processing of the SEVIS Form I-20. This time will vary depending on when the application is submitted and how many applicants there are at that time. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
You will receive an email once the SEVIS Form I-20 is processed, and we will send it out as instructed on your I-20 application.
If you have not received any communication from our office within 10 business days, please email email@example.com to check the status of your application.
After Receiving your I-20
Please note: The United States government is responsible for overseeing each of the steps below. HCC cannot assist you with paying the I-901 Fee, visa interviews/denials, or entry at the U.S. border.
Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee
Using the information on your I-20, submit SEVIS I-901 Fee payment here: www.fmjfee.com. Print your receipt to present during your visa interview and when you enter the U.S.
Obtain Your F-1 Visa
Apply for an F-1 Visa with your U.S. embassy/consulate. For additional information about this process, review Study in the States’ Five Ways to Prepare for Your Visa Interview.
Visa Denials: If you are denied an F-1 visa on your first attempt, you can re-apply with your U.S. embassy/consulate. If you will be unable to enter the U.S. by the Program Start Date listed on your I-20, you can defer your attendance to receive an I-20 for the next semester.
* Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are not required to obtain an F-1 visa. Upon arrival as F-1 students, their passports should show an entry stamp indicating D/S (Duration of Status).
Enter the United States
Once you have a valid F-1 visa, you are permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before the start date listed on your I-20. It is recommended that you arrive at least 2 weeks before the Program Start Date listed on your I-20 so that you have enough time to complete the steps required to enroll in classes. Classes can fill up so you need to arrive as soon as possible to ensure you are able to enroll in the required number of classes.
If you will be unable to enter the U.S. by the Program Start Date listed on your I-20, you should defer your attendance to receive an I-20 for the next semester.
All Initial F-1 students coming to the United States must be ready to present the following documentation when entering the U.S.:
- Original SEVIS Form I-20 – With valid Program Start Date and signed by the Designated School Official/International Student Advisor (DSO/ISA)
- Passport – Must be valid for at least six months after the date of your entry.
- F-1 Visa – Must be valid and designated for attendance at HCC.
- Proof of Financial Support – Information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.
- I-901 Fee Payment Receipt – Validating that the I-901 payment was submitted. The receipt can be reprinted at www.fmjfee.com.
Please review Study in the States’ Getting to the United States for additional instructions about your entry to the U.S.